Tuesday, May 27, 2014

G. Schuyler Hodgson

Well, we welcomed our little man into the world a lot sooner than expected.  On Monday, the 12th, I went to the bookstore, and worked as I usually did.  I did notice that I was feeling slightly crampy that day, but had just been reading about Braxton-Hicks, and assumed that was what was going on.  It was not until I closed the store, and hit the bathroom on the way out, that I realized something else was going on.  I was bleeding.  

I called my mom, and headed straight for the hospital.  They watched me for a few hours, and decided that it must be some sort of irritation because I really wasn't bleeding a lot.  I signed the discharge papers, stood up, and blood went every where.  This is when things changed.  I had an IV, steroid shot, and ultrasound immediately.  I stayed at the hospital until Thursday, when the perinatologist discovered that part of the placenta was torn.  They told me I would be on bed rest until August - no cooking, cleaning, nothing except laying there.  

I was home for one day.  I was a bit depressed about having to be a slug for three months, and my sweet Greg decided to cheer me up with some Splinter Cell.  So there we were, lying in bed killing terrorists, I went to the bathroom, and found much more blood, and this time I could feel some pain in my lower abdomin and lower back.  We both freaked out, called my parents, and headed back to the hospital.  We were there for about 10 minutes when my water broke, and started having constant hard contractions.  I was given medications, and an epidural, and we slept for about 4 hours until the doctor came in to check me and said "7 centimeters, we're a go.  We're going to have a baby in about half an hour."

The ultrasound they had done the night before showed the baby was head down, so they said I should be ok to delivery vaginally.  We pushed for a while, but the doctor kept saying that something wasn't quite right.  The "head" felt very squishy, and a foot kept trying to come down.  Once he realized it was not the head, he had to push the baby back up.  I had an epidural, but I have never experienced pain like that before, and after that, I could feel everything.  The babies heart rate dropped also.  They were going to have to do an emergency c-section.  They wheeled me down the hall, and I can remember feeling cold down my spine over and over from the epidural, but I could still move my feet.  They had to just put me out after that.  

I woke up in recovery with some woman saying my name and asking what my pain level was.  My family was waiting in my room when I was wheeled back to recovery, and told me how great our baby boy was doing; breathing on his own, and everything.  Greg had gone down several times to visit him, but I was not able to until I was considered stable.  They finally wheeled me down on Wednesday to meet my baby boy.  I did not even see him before I burst into tears.  

The doctor told us that there was some calcification on the placenta, which is normally a sign of infection.  Had the pregnancy continued, it would have put our baby Schuyler and myself at risk for more serious complications.  They also found something on my ovaries that has been sent to be examined.  

While all of this was happening, we felt doomed, lost, and confused.  We now see what a blessing it was.  The steroids I was given on Monday and Tuesday were in my system the perfect amount of time to help open Schuyler's lungs.  Our little guy is doing better every day, and has already filled our lives with love and hope.  I know he was meant to be born at this time.  It has also shown me how great people really are.  I don't know what I would have done without my mom and dad during this time.  They were there with us the whole way, and Greg's family has been such a great support.  We love and appreciate all they do for us from miles away, and can't wait to see them. We have been given things we really need, and been given rides and meals by great, amazing people.  

I also know now more than ever that I married the right person.  I'm so lucky to have Greg for my partner.  He was so patient with me, helped me to the bathroom, helped me shower, brought me things to do and eat, and really made the hospital as much of home as it could be.  

Heavenly father really does take care of us, and has a plan for us, even when it looks like he is no where to be found; this I know.  

And the star of our show!  From now on this will be all about our tiny tough guy.  :)  




No comments:

Post a Comment