Wednesday, July 20, 2011

4th of July

This years 4th of July was awesome! Greg and I ran in the 10k freedom run. We both beat our previous 10k times and we agreed that this is our favorite run to date. Provo is always a crazy place around the 4th. People camp out on the street the night before so that they can get ready for the parade. We ran along the parade route, a few hours before the parade started. There were SO many people cheering us on. It seemed like every couple of feet there were more kids holding their hands out so that we could give them five. There was even a guy standing in the road wearing a shirt that said, "Free hugs Ladies". The crowd was chanting "hug him, hug him!" Many runners did...but I didn't. lol.



Greg and I were pretty obsessed with the show, "The Biggest Loser" for a while. We started with the most recent season and watched the seasons backwards from their. As I was running, I saw a man in front of me and I thought, "hmm, that guy looks kind of like Rick from season 10" He then turned to talk to his wife and I realized...It is Rick from season 10!! Greg and I both really liked him, and we were so mad when he got voted off. So anyway, I passed them, to afraid to say anything and kept on with my run.


The end of the race was the best part. There was this couple who had passed me a little ways before I could see the finish line and I thought, "you can pass me now, but I'll be passing you later". I slowly started speeding up my pace and then went into an all out sprint. I totally passed them! See ya suckas! There was Greg beaming at the finish line. We got our medals and then I told him about seeing Rick. We went over to grab some orange slices when I hear Greg say, "Are you Rick from Biggest Loser?" I turned around and there he was!!! Ahh! We talked for a little bit and he shook both of our hands. It was so cool!


Greg and I then walked down to watch the parade and grab a burger. We headed home and just relaxed for the rest of the day. I'm so glad that we started running. It has been such a blessing in my life. I've realized that running has become my therapy. I also can't believe how far we have come. I remember when I tried going for two miles back in January, and it about killed me. We have signed up for a half marathon on Sept 10. That is going to be our last race of the year, but we plan to keep running and hopefully get ready for a triathalon next year. (we will see about that though. We need a pool... haha anyway)


Here are some pics from my phone after the run. I'm not wearing make up, and I just ran 6 miles, so I look awful...oh well, don't care!



Greg and I are also no longer primary workers. I have been called to the young women, and so far it has been a blast. Happy summer!

3 comments:

  1. I'm so proud of you and your running habits! Way to go, Kathy!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Whatever, girl, look at that smile! You look gorgeous and happy! (And skinnier every time I see you!)

    ReplyDelete